Now offering the Light Adjustable Lens!
Achieving Customized Vision With the Light Adjustable Lens™
The Light Adjustable Lens is the only adjustable intraocular lens (IOL) available that allows optimization of your vision after lens implantation and healing. If you and your doctor select the Light Adjustable Lens, the first step is to have your cataract safely removed and the adjustable IOL implanted. The cataract removal and IOL implantation procedure is the same as if you selected a non-adjustable IOL.
What is unique about the Light Adjustable Lens is that once your eye has healed, you return to your eye doctor to have your vision tested. During this visit you will be able to preview and compare possible vision outcomes based on your unique preferences and lifestyle requirements before selecting a prescription for your adjustable lens. Your doctor will then apply a proprietary light treatment that precisely reshapes your implanted lens based on the visual correction that is needed to target your custom prescription. You may need 3 to 5 total light treatments to reach your vision goals.
Your vision is tested after your eye heals. You then sample and select your desired vision outcome
How does the Light Adjustable Lens work?
The Light Adjustable Lens is made of a special photosensitive material that changes the shape and power of your implanted lens in response to ultraviolet (UV) light. Light treatments are delivered in your doctor’s office with the Light Delivery Device (LDD).
Is the Light Adjustable Lens right for me?
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved the Light Adjustable Lens and Light Delivery Device for patients with pre-existing astigmatism of 0.75 diopters or more who are undergoing cataract surgery. Other commercially available IOLs may be available for the treatment of your cataracts and your doctor will help you determine which lens is right for you.
What are Light Adjustable Lenses?
- Light adjustable lenses (LAL) are specialty lenses that can be implanted into the eye at the time of cataract surgery
- LAL are made of photosensitive material that allow the lens to change power after it is inserted in the eye
- This allows for adjustments in the post operative period, increasing your likelihood of obtaining your desired vision
- Treatments are done in office, are painless, and last an average of 60 seconds
- Fully customizeable to your desired visual goals
- See videos below for more information